On the other hand...

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 01:00:42 EDT

...Read further to see why things are pretty tough all around but some
manufacturers are hanging in there.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

Steinway Reports Second Quarter Results; Profit of $0.41 Per Share Before
Charges

WALTHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 2, 2001--Steinway Musical Instruments,
Inc. (NYSE: <A HREF="aol://4785:LVB">LVB</A>), one of the world's leading manufacturers of musical
instruments, today announced results for the second quarter ended June 30,
2001. Net sales totaled $83.7 million, an increase of 7% over the year-ago
quarter. EBITDA declined modestly, to $13.8 million from $14.1 million. Net
income for the quarter was $3.7 million before extraordinary charges,
compared to $4.5 million in the prior year.

Fiscal 2001 second quarter earnings include charges of $4.0 million, or $.44
per share, related to the early extinguishment of debt in connection with a
successful bond refinancing. Including the impact of these expenses, Steinway
reported a loss of $0.03 per share for the quarter compared to earnings of
$0.51 per share in the second quarter of 2000.

For the first half of 2001, sales totaled $185.2 million, a 12% increase over
2000. Gross margins improved to 31.7% from 31.1%. EBITDA increased 5%, to
$30.5 million from $29.1 million in the prior year. Earnings per share before
charges for the six-month period were $1.00 compared to $1.09 in 2000.

Commenting on the results, Dana D. Messina, Chief Executive Officer, stated,
"The second quarter was a challenging one for the Company. While we continued
to see steady improvements in both sales and production levels in our
overseas markets, demand for our Boston pianos continued to be weak. We also
experienced a slowdown in shipments of Steinway pianos domestically. Dealers
cancelled many of their orders in the second quarter as the ongoing economic
softness in the U.S. finally manifested itself with slower sales at the
retail level. In response, we have already started to scale back piano
production to more appropriate levels at our New York factory."

"Uncertainty about the economy impacted our band operation as well," noted
Messina. "Dealers are purchasing later than normal this year knowing that
manufacturers have excess inventory. They are delaying certain purchases
until they have greater visibility of their "back-to-school" season
requirements. In addition, we have been experiencing heavy price competition
which has had a negative impact on our results."

Looking ahead to the balance of the year, Mr. Messina said, "We continue to
have a cautious outlook for the economy in the near-term. Management is
focusing its efforts on reducing domestic inventory levels. We are adjusting
our production levels to meet current demand and have reduced our band
headcount by approximately 5%. Current trends indicate that our domestic
piano business should stabilize at 1999 levels by year-end. With the economic
slowdown clearly impacting our results in all segments, we expect our full
year earnings to be at the low end of our previously forecasted range."

Band Operations

Sales of band and orchestral instruments reached $45.1 million for the second
quarter, an increase of 33% over the prior year. With the addition of UMI,
overall unit shipments increased 39%. An increase in the production costs of
some new instrument models, coupled with the planned expenses for
reengineering our manufacturing systems, caused gross margins to slip to
27.7% from 28.7% in the second quarter of 2000.

Year-to-date, sales were up 31% over the prior period. Gross margins held
consistent at 27.4%. High inventory levels, coupled with a slowdown in demand
for woodwind instruments, forced the Company to adjust headcount levels in
certain areas and reduce production schedules for the remainder of 2001.

Piano Operations

Sales for pianos decreased by 12% over the second quarter of 2000, to $38.5
million, on a unit shortfall of 25% over prior year. This includes an
unfavorable foreign translation impact of $1.3 million. Soft demand in the
mid-priced market continued to impact the Company's results. Worldwide,
Boston unit shipments declined 38% over the prior year period. In addition,
domestic unit shipments of Steinway & Sons grand pianos decreased 24% over
the year-ago quarter as retail demand declined.

A strengthening of demand for Steinway & Sons pianos in overseas markets
resulted in an 11% rise in foreign unit sales during the quarter. This
increase was led by a 70% increase in Steinway grand sales in Japan. Gross
margins for the second quarter improved to 37.7% from 34.6%, as the overall
mix of pianos sold shifted toward higher margin Steinway instruments.

On a year-to-date basis, piano sales were down 5%, to $83.4 million on unit
decreases of 6% for Steinway and 41% for Boston. Gross margins rose to 37%
from 34.5% in the prior period.

Conference Call

Steinway will be discussing its second quarter results, along with its
outlook for the remainder of 2001, on a conference call today, beginning at
5:30 p.m. ET. A webcast of the call will be available to all interested
parties at www.steinwaymusical.com. Following the live webcast, an archived
version will be available on the Company's web site.

About Steinway Musical Instruments

Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc., through its Steinway, Selmer and UMI
subsidiaries, is one of the world's leading manufacturers of musical
instruments. Its notable products include Armstrong flutes, Bach trumpets,
C.G. Conn trombones, Ludwig drums, Selmer saxophones and Steinway & Sons
pianos. Additional information can be obtained by visiting our web site:
www.steinwaymusical.com

"Safe Harbor" Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of
1995

This release contains "forward-looking statements" which represent the
Company's present expectations or beliefs concerning future events. The
Company cautions that such statements are necessarily based on certain
assumptions which are subject to risks and uncertainties, including, but not
limited to, changes in general economic conditions, increased competition,
exchange rate fluctuations, and the availability of production capacity which
could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated herein.
Further information on these risk factors is included in the Company's
filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

                  STEINWAY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, INC.

            Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations

                 (In thousands, except per share data)

                             Three Months Ended    Six Months Ended

                           06/30/2001 07/01/2000 06/30/2001 07/01/2000

Net sales                    $83,661    $77,824   $185,242   $165,599

Cost of sales                 56,597     52,890    126,469    114,061

 Gross profit                 27,064     24,934     58,773     51,538

Operating expenses            16,963     14,270     35,600     28,907

 Income from operations       10,101     10,664     23,173     22,631

Interest expense, net          4,529      3,602      9,066      6,967

Other (income) expense, net     (229)      (521)      (394)      (676)

 Income before taxes           5,801      7,583     14,501     16,340

Provision for income taxes     2,100      3,070      5,600      6,620

Income before extraordinary

 loss                          3,701      4,513      8,901      9,720

Extraordinary loss on early

 extinguishment of debt

 (net of tax benefit

 of $2,662)                    3,950                 3,950

 Net income (loss)             ($249)    $4,513     $4,951     $9,720

Earnings per share: Basic

 and Diluted

 Before extraordinary loss     $0.41      $0.51      $1.00      $1.09

 Extraordinary loss            (0.44)                (0.44)

 Net earnings                 ($0.03)     $0.51      $0.55      $1.09

Weighted average common

 shares:

 Basic and Diluted             8,932      8,907      8,932      8,916

                 Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets

                                   06/30/2001  07/01/2000  12/31/2000

Cash                                  $3,629      $4,273     $4,989

Receivables, net                     111,946      75,645     93,042

Inventories                          175,208     107,336    160,296

Other current assets                   6,647       9,350      7,126

 Total current assets                297,430     196,604    265,453

Property, plant and equipment, net   104,059      90,046    106,415

Other assets                          49,333      45,614     49,948

 Total assets                       $450,822    $332,264   $421,816

Notes payable and current portion

 of long-term debt                    $8,670      $8,980     $9,516

Other current liabilities             38,310      35,402     47,059

  Total current liabilities           46,980      44,382     56,575

Long-term debt                       251,468     149,570    213,894

Other liabilities                     37,098      32,303     38,140

Stockholders' equity                 115,276     106,009    113,207

Total liabilities and stockholders'

 equity                             $450,822    $332,264   $421,816

CONTACT:

Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc.

Julie A. Theriault

781-894-9770