the word "harp"

Ryan sowers pianova440@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:18:29 -0700

I actually like the term "Harp". Clients often comment that their piano
"looks like a harp" when It is dissassembled. It does look much more like a
harp than a plate. The word plate brings to mind something flat, which the
piano plate is not. "Plate" is quite generic, also. It could refer to any
flat object in a piano. Clients have a bit of trouble understanding what you
mean when you refer to the "cast-iron plate". Perhaps words like "Plate" and
tuning "hammer" go way back to previous centuries and have their roots in
some translation error from Italian to German to English. It is fun to keep
harping on this issue.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter, #985
Olympia, WA