class notes on SAT III

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:43:56 -0900 (PDT)

Here are my notes, slightly revised since Convention:

Reno PTG Institute           SAT III Class         Jim Coleman, Sr.
   ( Notes slightly expanded)
Harmonics vs partials. Showing exponential increase of higher partials.

OLD STYLE  F4 TUNING - ONLY ONE MEASUREMENT. Play F4, Tune, stop dots
(LEDs) at F5, Stop dots at A6 with cents buttons. This displays Stretch
Number.
Hold down SHIFT, press STO-Stretch. Press Stretch again to get into
Stretch Mode
TUNING. Left window will show C3, Rt window will show cents value for
this note.
Start tuning at A4. When that is good change SAT to A3 to see how the 4-2
octave
relationship looks. When you play the A4 and look at the display, you can
see how
much sharper the A4 is compared to what the A3 will be when it is tuned.
When the
SAT is at A3 it will be listening at A5, its 4th partial. When  playing
A4, its 2nd partial
will display showing the dots moving to the Rt. usually. An aural test
will show the
F3-A4 (10th) beating just slightly faster than the F3-A3 (M3rd). Most of
us like a little
additional stretch of the A3-A4 octave so that the 10th will beat a half
beat per second
(bps) faster than the 3rd. At the listening pitch of A5 you need the A4
note to display
about 1.0 cents higher than the A3 when it is tuned. Old style F4 Stretch
tuning only
goes from C3 to F6. If one prepares some FAC tunings ahead of time on 10
pages
of memory, one can select a page of memory which has a similar value to
the value
of F6 of this present tuning in order to continue on up to note 88.
Likewise, one can
select a page of memory which has a value the same as the note C3 for
tuning down
into the Bass.

LISTENING TO BEATS.  As you tune down the scale from A4, you can listen
to M3rds
beginning 4 half steps down. 7 half steps down, you can listen to the
5ths. I like to
follow both of these intervals down while tuning. There is no law saying
that an
electronic tuner-technician cannot listen while he tunes. If in the
process he notices
that the 3rds are slowing down too fast, he can incorporate the Double
Octave Beat
(DOB) to stretch out the octaves a little more. In the Bass, if one likes
tighter octaves,
negative DOB can be incorporated to make the 6-3 octave relationship
pure. I like to
begin this at B2 going down into the Bass, or wherever the wound strings
begin.

ACCUFORK II  With 2 Accuforks one can hear beats of many speeds. When
listening to beats at A4, one can hear a beat an octave higher which can
be a
problem in aurally setting the A4. Be sure to listen to the Fundamental.
Tune a one octave temperament with the A3, A#3, B3, C4 of the AccuFork
Test or
correct it with contiguous 3rds, 4ths and 5ths.

SIMPLE FAC TUNING  *** ONLY ONE MEASUREMENT ***. In the SAT III the
default
stretch numbers are 8.0, 7.0, 6.0 for the 3 notes which we normally
measure. Measure
ONLY THE A4 and use the defaults of the other two. Select a page of
Memory. Hold
down STRETCH, hold down MEM, release STRETCH, release release MEM.
In general the F3 Stretch number controls the additional stretch of the
Bass and the C6
number controls the additional stretch of the High Treble, especially the
top octave.
This additional stretch or shrink of the octave can be controlled by the
DOB on the fly
as you go. This will work for the SAT I, II if you just put in the dummy
stretch numbers
8.0 for F3 and 6.0 for C6. Then instead of using DOB which you don't
have, you can
do gradual resets as the beats indicate more stretch is needed in either
direction.

GETTING THE A440 FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT ON!  Now you can start tuning immed-
iately, you don't have to do a lot of measuring before tuning. TUNE the
A4 immediately
after turning on the SAT III and getting out of Calibrate mode. Play and
tune A4 very
accurately, then with the OCT button, jump up to A6, measure the
sharpness of A4's
4th partial by stopping the dots with the MSR or cents buttons. Multiply
this figure by
0.8, adjust the cents window to this value and hold down
SHIFT-STOStretch.
Assume the default stretch values for F3 and C6. Select your page of
Memory and
do the STRETCH to MEM rollover to compute the tuning. Set SAT III to A3
to view the
octave relationship even before tuning A3. Add DOB if it is indicated.
For SAT I or II
users, you can increase the A4 Stretch value to widen the center octaves
as
explained in the May '97 Journal articles. Just remember to add the same
amount to
reset as you added to the A4 Stretch number when you go from B4 to C5.
Keep this
reset up to C8 unless you like even more stretch in the treble.

AUTO NOTE STEPPING.  Hold down SHIFT and press NOTE/Up to use automatic
note changing in the up direction. You can  also hold down SHIFT and
NOTE/Dn to
progress in the downward direction. You may toggle each direction on or
off.  You
may have both directions turned on.

USING SEQUENCING TO PRACTICE YOUR AURAL TEMPERAMENT. Hold down
the SHIFT button and press the OCT/Up once to bring up the 1st sequence
which is
the Baldassin/Sanderson two octave temperament. I have stored the
Baldassin-
Sanderson-Kimbell-Tremper temperament as Se-2 (second sequence). To bring
this up, I hold down the SHIFT button and press OCT/Up once more. SE-2
will
appear in the Rt. window. Touching the NOTE/Up button once will start the
sequence
at A4. It is more convenient to use a footswitch or thumb switch. Regular
computers
do not have this capability. Begin demo of BSKT using eyes and ears.

STORING YOUR OWN SEQUENCES. Holding down PAGE/Up, go beyond page
198 to Sequence page SE-1. Select your 1st note and octave. With the
CENTS
button, select 1 (no decimals will appear in the Rt window at this time).
Hold down
SHIFT, press MEM to store this first sequence note. Select your next
note/octave,
then with CENTS button, enter 2, then SHIFT-MEM. Continue in like manner
selecting
Note/OCT 1st then entering the sequence number in the Rt window. It is
good to
have this sequence written down first before you start so you don't get
confused
(you ask how I know?).

CONVERTING A MEMORY TUNING INTO AN HISTORICAL TEMPERAMENT. There
are 2 pages of memory above 198 and the 4 Seq. pages which can contain 14
historical temperament deviations from ET. These 12 note deviations can
be applied
or added to any complete tuning in memory. They will affect the 12 notes
in each of
the 7 1/4 octaves. For example: the 12 deviations stored from C1 to B1 on
page 1-7t
will be added to each of their respectivel notes from A0 to C8 of a
selected page of
memory. Each octave of this page 1-7t will hold a separate group of 12
deviations.
The next page above the one titled 1-7t is titled 1-14 which will hold 7
more sets of
historical deviations. These are input at the factory for you if you care
to use them.
You may overwrite them with your own preferences. The Kirnberger III is
stored in
octave C1-B1 of page 1-14t. To use this temperament, you would first
select the page
of memory for this particular piano you are tuning. Then hold down the
SHIFT button
and press the PAGE/Up button until 8t appears in the Rt window. This
immediatley
adds the Kirnberger deviations to each note as you tune the piano. I
stored the
Coleman XI on my page 1-7t in octave 3. I set 3.0 cents for C3 and
pressed
SHIFT-MEM to store, then 0.0 for C#3, etc. through B4 at -3.0. Here are
all the values
from C through B: 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -3.0, 4.0, -2.0, 2.0, 0.0, -1.0,
2.0, -3.0.  This is a
very mild Well Temperament which has no bad 5ths or 4ths, but has
graduated beat
rates in the M3rd progressing evenly from no sharps or flats to 6 sharps
or flats.
When I wish to use this temperament, I calculate my tuning on a page of
Memory,
then hold down SHIFT and press PAGE/Up 3 times to get to 3t in the Rt.
window.
This incorporates the temperament deviations on my selected page of
memory.

GIVING YOURSELF A SIMULATED PTG TUNING TEST, PART 1.  First, put your
very
best FAC tuning on a good quality piano. Write down the values for the
notes C3 to
B3. Then press the PAGE/Dn button to locate the EEE page, then the POI
page, then
stop at the SUP1 page. Input the values of C3 to B3 by holding down the
SHIFT
button and pressing the MEM button for each of the written values. At C4
it will be
necessary to play the tuned C4, adjust the Cents to stop the dots and
store this
values as the previous values were stored (this is due to the fact that
the exam uses
2nd partials instead of 4th partials which the FAC tuning uses in this
octave). Store
each values similarily through B4. Select page UUU by holding down the
PAGE
button until it stops a UUU. Detune the piano to these values. Next, tune
the piano
aurally in the area of C3 to B4 the very best you can without looking at
the SAT III.
Turn on SAT III, press PAGE/Dn to get to page EEE. At each note from C3
to B4,
play the note and stop the dots with the MSR or CENTS buttons, hold down
SHIFT,
press MEM and advance until all tuned notes are recorded. Change note to
the
lowest note of your temperament (usually F3), hold down Green SHIFT2
button and
press NOTE/Dn. This records your temperament octave. Then hold down the
Green
SHIFT2 button and press OCT/Dn to score any penalty points. which you may
have
incurred. These will show up as a plus or minus number in the Rt window
as you hold
down the NOTE/Up or NOTE/Dn. If you have 8 or less penalty points you
pass the
temperament. If you have 13 or less penalty points from C3 to B4, you
pass the
Midrange.

If time permits: Pitch Raising anyway you like, Battery check, Tuning to
different pitches,
adding S/N Zero Reset, copying  FAC #'s to another page of memory,
recalling Stretch
numbers, Warm stop or start, audio in and out, MIDI in & out, 4 light
readings for greater accuracy Octave compromises.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I have removed myself as a distributor of SAT IIIs. Yes, we are still
good friends. I did this to remove any criticism of bias because I was
selling SATs. I can now give my unbiased opinion of the SAT III. It is
still my favorite electronic tuning instrument and I expect it to
continue to be for some time. I am primarily an educator not a salesman.
You have questions? Write me privately.