Heavy Playing S&S C

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:55:47 -0000

Dear Richard,

Here is the analysis of your concert hall Steinway C:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/breckas.jpg
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/breckaf.jpg
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/breckat.jpg

Strike Weight is way too high for this Ratio.

Front weight is way way too high.  The line between high/medium is my
ceiling and all are way above this...

Down/Up Weight look fine but so what.... this set up is a recipe for heavy
dynamic touch.

You could bring the strike weight to the bottome of the high zone.
But I agree with you that for a concert hall and best dynamic range and
projection keeping strike weight near the upper high zone is best for tone.
But to do this you need to lower your ratio to closer to 5.0 by moving the
capstan/heel line and combining that with adding support springs....

You could take an gram off the hammer weight and remove keylead to get the
feel better..  Tone may be less but it may still be ok... Have to test.....

You say the BW averages 49.  I came up with the figure 38.....

David C. Stanwood