Heavy Playing S&S C

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:09:04 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/01 10:58:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
rbrekne@broadpark.no writes:

> Just started a basic action job on a Steinway C Hamburger :) Nice
> piano but getting a bit uneven and noisy as time goes by.. about 20
> years old. Folks have been complaining for a long time now about it
> been "heavy" or "sluggish".

Ricahrd

Remember that Steinway B I worked on in St. Thomas? This piano also had a
very heavy action, and we couldn't figure out what the problem was. Ray
LaMotta finally figured it out, quite by accident. He discovered that when he
put his hand on the top of the action,  the rail gave a little, more than
what he expected. What had happened is the hammer rail had come loose from
the action brackets. The weld actually gave way. Because it is a welded
action, you can't see the break, because it is hidden. But push down on the
action, and see if it moves. Then look very carefully at all the welded
joints.

Willem