Soundboard shims via Spurlok method

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:58:09 -0400

Dear Lists,
    I've got trouble. I just started using the sound board router system
the venerable Mr. Bill Spurlock sells. I don't like it! Maybe it's just
me but I can't get a handle on how to affix a rail to the crowned sound
board. I would be easier if the board was flat bu then I'd be replacing
it not shimming it. I've always been taught that a glue joint is only as
good as the mating surfaces. I have several small gaps in various places
and I've gone as wide as I dare with the shims that I have. Kind of like
the wobbly chair syndrome. I've never had a router bit cut so poorly,
chattering and pulling like it did.
    I am gluing the shim in now with as much of the gaps minimized as
possible but I'm finicky. I'd rather not see any at all. I think I'll
switch gears here and try the epoxy method. Would any of you be so kind
as to detail this method to me along with the product you use and your
results with it. Before the forum police come to get me, I know this has
been posted before. Nevertheless I'd appreciate a complete approach if
any of you are so inclined.
    Thanks a bunch! You all are the best!!!!

Greg
--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté