Welding Tubular Action Rails

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:59:46 -0700

These rails are not that difficult to repair.  Are you rebuilding this action or
is this just a repair?  The action is assembled with solder joints, NOT welds.
The solder melts at relatively low temperatures.  They are soldered together at
the factory after the core dowel is already in place so by heating it you are
not doing anything that wasn't already done when it was put together.  If you
use a blow torch with a relatively focused flame tip you can heat the joint
quickly, melt the solder, and then get it cooled down again before any
significant burning occurs to the wood.  Remember that the placement of the rail
must be precise so use what ever bracing you need to maintain it's position.  If
you heat it only minimal it may not move anyway.  Use soldering flux to insure
that it sticks and does so quickly.  Enough is enough don't over do it, just get
the joint solid again and stop.  Apply a heat sink to the rail surrounding the
wood an inch or so from the joint to help keep the rest of the rail from heating
up.  A small spring clamp should to do the trick.

Good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV