Rebuilding/Non-Profit/Funding

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:02:50 -0400

Does anyone have any experience/ideas for creating/organizing a funding
drive to raise $50,000-plus to pay for complete rebuilding of two pianos and
a few related expenses?

I do pro-bono tuning (and light repairs) for the local Friday Morning
Musicale (it is an association of music & performing arts teachers that use
the facility for recitals (young piano students), etc.). The group
(non-profit) owns a lovely theatre and has a 1950 S&S "B" and a 1920 S&S
"L". They also rent out the facility whenever possible for performance
events - such as the Florida Chamber Orchestra. The pianos are in original
(or nearly so) condition - you've seen 'em - play like trucks, horrible bass
sections, treble sections horribly unclear, etc. IMHO, they will not realize
anywhere near their potential until they are completely rebuilt. I am aware
that the Friday Morning Musicale board members would like to upgrade the
pianos.

Here is the problem: This group doesn't have the money to hire a caretaker
for the building or paint the walls - let alone dump $40,000-plus into two
pianos (they need a climate-controlled storage room and a caretaker to
prevent (minimize)piano abuse). It's just a few elderly ladies that
volunteer their time to keep the place going and membership fees that pay
the taxes and whatever.

Has anyone ever organized something of this nature? Does anyone know of
anyone that has organized something of this nature?

Last week I read in the local paper that a new US Navy destroyer
(battleship?) will be christened in Tampa next month. A local group did a
funding drive and raised $100,000 for a day-long party to celebrate the
christening of the ship. I know absolutely nothing about funding drives, but
I think the local christening party funding success clearly indicates that
my area can raise these kinds of funds. There must be some way to raise
funding for a couple pianos that would greatly benefit children of the area
and the local arts. Any ideas?????

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida