Crack fillers - old soundboards

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:15:02 -0400

"I use Webb Phillip's LAKEONE Wood Rebuilder.....After the epoxy =
dries...."

I have tried this product and have wondered about it's base. You mention =
epoxy here. It smells exactly like polyester resin. Does anyone know =
what it is made of or whether it is close to epoxy or polyester?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 5:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Crack fillers - old soundboards

  In a message dated 4/28/01 3:07:54 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  p003520b@pb.seflin.org writes:=20

    Has anyone out there tried any innovative approaches to sealing =
cracks in=20
    soundboards on old, cheap, baby grand pianos? I'm thinking about=20
    something on the order of a medium thickness CA glue, or some other=20
    liquid type of material that would fill in the crack.=20

    My customer has an old Winter baby grand with about 10 cracks in the =

    soundboard, but none are very wide, not even paper thickness. She =
doesn't=20
    want to spend much money=20
    and is willing for me to experiment some. But I thought I'd better =
see if=20
    anyone else has experimented first.=20

    Wally Scherer=20

  I use Webb Phillip's LAKEONE Wood Rebuilder. The easiest away to do =
this is=20
  to put masking tale on the soundboard over the cracks. The turn the =
piano=20
  upside down and poor the liquid in the cracks from the bottom. Be sure =
to=20
  allow enough in all the cracks to fill them. Any excess can stay on =
the=20
  bottom of the board, since it isn't seen. If the customer is picky, it =
can be=20
  scraped off later. After the epoxy dries, turn the piano over, and =
take off=20
  the tape. Job done.=20

  The wood filler is translucent. It will show up as a dark streak, =
almost=20
  resembling a crack, on the soundboard. If you want to eliminate that =
problem,=20
  add some saw dust to the epoxy.=20

  Willem=20