Crack fillers - old soundboards

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:26:23 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/01 3:07:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
p003520b@pb.seflin.org writes:

> Has anyone out there tried any innovative approaches to sealing cracks in
> soundboards on old, cheap, baby grand pianos? I'm thinking about
> something on the order of a medium thickness CA glue, or some other
> liquid type of material that would fill in the crack.
>
> My customer has an old Winter baby grand with about 10 cracks in the
> soundboard, but none are very wide, not even paper thickness. She doesn't
> want to spend much money
> and is willing for me to experiment some. But I thought I'd better see if
> anyone else has experimented first.
>
> Wally Scherer

I use Webb Phillip's LAKEONE Wood Rebuilder. The easiest away to do this is
to put masking tale on the soundboard over the cracks. The turn the piano
upside down and poor the liquid in the cracks from the bottom. Be sure to
allow enough in all the cracks to fill them. Any excess can stay on the
bottom of the board, since it isn't seen. If the customer is picky, it can be
scraped off later. After the epoxy dries, turn the piano over, and take off
the tape. Job done.

The wood filler is translucent. It will show up as a dark streak, almost
resembling a crack, on the soundboard. If you want to eliminate that problem,
add some saw dust to the epoxy.

Willem