learning temperaments (ws EBVT-)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:49:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/01 2:26:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com (John M. Formsma) writes:

> BTW, the piano I mentioned the other day...Kawai KG-5 one pass pitch
> lower/tuning with EBVT.  I received an email this morning from the organist.
> Her words were, "I liked the tuning." I had previously tuned that piano with
> the SAT (ET) because the falseness (loose bridge pins) in the treble made
> aural tuning difficult. After tapping bridge pins and some light seating
> this time, the EBVT really made this piano sing. Sounded very improved. I
> )

This is good news.  The theater at the community college has one of those
which I have had the privilege of caring for since it was brand new in 1993.
It has only been tuned in EBVT.  The chairman of the music department *loved*
it when he first heard it.  The theater director has had nothing but
compliments as to what a fine piano it is.  He is my most loyal and faithful
customer.  I get lots of referrals from him besides the several tunings per
year and once a year maintenance I do on the piano.

The tuning record for that piano was one of the first I did on the SAT but I
also put it on paper and gave to the chairman of the music department who has
it on file.  Someday soon, if not already, the EBVT can legitimately be
called a Historical Temperament.

Incidentally, beyond the music department chairman and the theater director,
no one else who has ever used the piano has known about the special nature of
the tuning.  I never met any of the performers.  No one, not any of the
professional pianists who have used the piano has ever once made a comment
about uneven 3rds or any other kind of negative comment.

The theater director does, on the other hand, often tell me that users have
volontarily made comments about how nice of a piano it is.  There is more to
keeping a piano like this in good shape than tuning, of course but the EBVT
is icing on the cake.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin