Troubleshooting Vertical problem

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:37:33 -0500

>Baldwin Hamilton is the latest victim here..
>Could it possibly be a pressure bar problem?..

>The Piano sounds fine outside of this
>one section.
>
>thanks,
>roo(k)

Yea, but listen to that BASS!                              sorry

Nope, it's not the pressure bar.

Check soundboard crown at the point of the problem. Negative crown=bad.

Check overall bearing at the point of the problem. Baldwin's system for
setting bearing in these pianos can result in almost anything. Negative
bearing=bad, EXTREME positive bearing=bad. Either extreme is possible.

Check front bearing and back bearing. It's very possible that even with
positive overall bearing, the front bearing is zero or negative. I made a
120 mile trip earlier this week for a dealer to diagnose this very thing in
a YC grand. There was positive crown in the killer octave, and positive
overall bearing, but it sure sounded awful and no one was sure why until
the local tech and I tracked it down.

During the course of the above, look over the glue joints too, just in case.

Ron N