factory apprenticeship

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:46:33 +0200

From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:32:26 -0700
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: factory apprenticeship

    "I have been to several 'famous' factories in Europe and also three
times to
the Yamaha Pianotechnical Academy in Hamamatsu.
Yamaha is the best place in the world for learning, according to me."

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
Gott im Himmel! Andre. I'd love to go just once. Although, from what I've
heard, it can be grueling. Those Japanese are just sooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,
type A personalities, if you know what I mean.
   Or am I just leaping at the wrong conclusions, again. The reason I ask,
is that I spoke with a tech who went there, and he said that he spent three
hours getting the dip just tight, and they said, " dip not right, do over
please." He spent like three days working on the regulation on a new grand,
and then they said. "After touch not quite right, do over please."
   Sounds like boot camp to me. ( Of course, you'd just HAVE to come away
from that a better tech.)
=20
Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com

Hi Kevin...
During my very first time at the Academy (this was for the basic grand pian=
course) I had to practice one whole week on key dip.
I just couldn't, for some reason, get it together according to their
precision.
Finally, they brought in a special weight, which, when put on a key, gave
the final and correct key dip.
Same thing for anything else one had to learn there (dampers, regulation,
tuning, voicing).

After a final regulation, for instance at a pre-exam, they bring in several
instructors who measure the whole regulation process. They then each give
their opinion and a mark. On a slip of paper all the marks are shown and,
added up, the final mark or result.
That is the most gruelling and thorough way of checking the work of a
student. It also shows precisely where the weak points are and thus where t=
make corrections in the learning process.

I could easily go on for days or Months, and thereby write a complete book,
on what you learn there, how they do it, what it feels like, about the
personal contacts with fellow students from Japan or other Countries, the
teachers, the dormatories, the Factory, Hamamatsu etc etc etc etc.

Maybe I will, some day, but in the past I have already given several
descriptions here on this list.

I am always open to giving spefic details about my experiences in factories=
,
and I think that, for a piano technician, a training in any piano factory i=
of the highest priority.
That's why I reacted to our Spanish colleague.

Friendly greetings,

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
Amsterdam