Yamaha bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:51:35 -0500

Hi gang,

I tuned a couple of new Yamahas today and wondered about something I
noticed. The bridges on the second one (C1D), were notched super deep. The
radius was really tight too, cutter diameter just a little more than a
penny. Looked like about 20mm!  Wasn't a boxwood cap either. I didn't
notice if the first one (C3D) was notched and capped the same because it
was early then and my brain wasn't up yet.

Seems like an unnecessarily severe notch to me, but I'm not making a
gazillion pianos a year. Does anyone know how these hummers are notched,
how recently they have been doing it this way, and why, and would you
please enlighten me?

Ron N