SV: factory apprenticeship

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:47:34 +0200

Inaki,

If you want to upgrade yourself, it could be a good idea to go to a
pianofactory...
I do agree with Andrè, telling you that Yamaha is the best place to learn.
It's different from a factory as it is an academy, with a very well
structured education.

I have not been to Japan, but one of my colleges here in Norway has been at
the academy three times, so I know something about it from him!

Speaking for myself, I have been learning at Schimmel, Grotrian Steinweg and
Bösendorfer. In such factories it's much up to you if you are going to learn
something. But if you can manage with the people working there (they work
there to build grands, not to teach you and me...), and the whole situation
in a busy factory, you could have a great time perfecting your skills!! In
these factories you also have a fortune if you talk German (most of the
people there also speak English, but they might not talk that much to you as
if they could do it in German...).

The best way to get there would probably be to let your local dealer send
you. Many factories work hard these days to get the business going round,
and they don't have much time to educate people. But if on of their dealers
ask for help to offer his customers better service, they are often willing
to take in people like you!

Good luck to you

(and please forgive another foreigner trying to remember his English back
from school-days....).

Kjell Sverre
Kristiansand / Norway,  NPTF / Europiano
ksfardal@online.no