Scale design question -- Tuning Stability

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:23:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Jorgensen" <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 04, 2001 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: Scale design question

> To Del Fandrich, Dampp Chaser, and Other
>       How much consideration is given to tuning stability in
> scale/board/bridge/rib design?

Very little, if any.

> Much focus is on even tone and smooth
> temperament over the break.  That is all good,  but  how about making the
low
> tenor so it changes more equally with the rest of the piano in a weather
> change?  How possible is that?  How much sacrifice would be needed?

We are not going to resolve the tuning stability problems until we get over
our irrational obsession with 'solid-spruce' soundboards and develop some
really good laminated soundboards -- work that is overdue by some decades
now.

> Dampp chasers systems really help,  but I find it hard to keep folks
> from unplugging them.  We need battery operated "Plug this unit in"
beepers for
> churches.

Dampp-Chasers are not going to solve this problem until they can be
hard-wired (hard-plumbed?) in. That is, until they are totally automatic and
thought-free. As with refridgerators with ice-makers. People today are so
accustomed to having machines do and think for them that it is unrealistic
to expect most of them to take an active part in the ongoing welfare of
anything they own. Including the piano.

> Tuning instability could kill the acoustic piano.

It is certainly going to help. But this knowledge has never rallied our
industry in the past. Don't expect any active R&D programs starting Real
Soon Now over this either.

Del