Steinway Policy.. was grafs.

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:49:00 EDT

Richard writes:
<<This year he was to take the round on only
one concert grand piano.. I am to do to the other one.... his reaction
was...well uncomfortable to put it that way. >>

     A State University here in Tennessee recently had Steinway send a man
down to rehammer a D that was here.  Their local tech  had already done this
once and they weren't happy about it.   The Steinway tech arrived, spent a
day installing pre-hung hammers, regulated and voiced the instrument and
left.
    The factory's bill to the school was for $6,000.  They are still not
happy with the piano and I told them that I thought the soundboard was
defective, but they should try a few Renner hammers in the problem section
and see if it was a hammer problem or soundboard/sounding structure.  What
was the reaction?
     "Ooooh, no, we want Steinway parts, only!"
     My response?  "Well then, there is no problem here, you already have
Steinway parts installed by a factory Steinway technician!".
   They are now considering a change of philosophy, and have asked me to
completely restore an older A that they were planning on sending back to the
factory for the full treatment.  Steinway and Sons doesn't really seem to
care about customer service, sadly.   Even after the large number of pianos I
have had sent there for board replacement, I don't get calls returned.  Go
figure.
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT