SV: EBVT tunings

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:02:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/01 10:11:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianola@online.no (Ola Andersson) writes:

> When you are tuning EBVT  I would like to know if you find the thirds slower
> than 6bps,
> and if you find the A3-E4 to be faster than 1bps when tuning the white keys.
>
> And how do you fine the the relation F#-B and B- E

Ola,

You need to *establish* your F3-A3, C4-E4, G3-B3 3rds and G3-E4 6th *all* at
6 beats per second.  You don't have to worry about an extremely accurate
rate, however.  You could use a slower rate, yes, but if you do, it will
affect the beat rates of the other intervals too.

The EBVT is, in fact, an adaptation of a temperament found in Professor Owen
Jorgensen RPT's second publication, the "Handbook" for tuning the Equal
Beating Temperaments.  In that book, there is a temperament called the
"Rameau-Rousseau-Hall 18th Century Modified Meantone Temperament".  It's
C4-E4 3rd is pure.  What this does is set certain parameters.

I found, through experimentation, that if you widen that 3rd, at first nearly
imperceptibly, then more and more, that the whole rest of the temperament is
affected proportionately.  I have read on this List about others who have
made this discovery too.

So, the point is, that yes, you do have some room for error or for a personal
taste adjustment where, in principal, you have *none* in ET.  But, to get the
desired proportions of the version of this 18th Century Temperament that I
have come to call, "EBVT,"  you have to have a C4-E4 3rd that beats at about
1/2 the speed that it would in ET.  This will give you the all important 4
pure 5ths (that *no* other Victorian style temperament has) and will also
keep all of your 4ths and 5ths tempered within a range that the
*contemporary* ear will accept.

The problem you are having with the F#3-B4 4th probably comes from trying to
set your C4-E4 3rd too slow.  This will also make your G3-D4 5th and your
A3-D4 4th be more tempered and beat more strongly (rapidly).

You may well find that in many pianos, the C3-E3 3rd, the one an octave below
the original F3-F4 temperament sequence will beat *slower* than 3 beats per
second which is what would be expected (1/2 the speed of the same interval an
octave higher).  Don't worry about this, it is to your advantage and is
caused by inharmonicity.  This is how, in fact, that a skilled tuner can make
the so-called "poor" scale design sound sweeter and more in tune.  Many
technicians are simply frustrated by this phenomenon and make a choice that
ends up sounding worse, not better.

I have found in many cases that my EBVT sounds more like 1/5 Comma Meantone
in the lower part of Octave 3.  This and the effects of Equal Beating allow
what is nominally, and by a cursory look at numerical deviations from ET, a
*Victorian* Temperament, to serve very appropriately as a temperament which
is far more unequal and naturally, much more restrictive.  In short, the
manipulative tricks used in tuning the piano the way I do and which cannot be
duplicated with any smooth curve Electronic Tuning program that I know of,
allow you to have it both ways:  A tuning system which caters to the
requirements of *both* early and more modern music.  Americans have the
metaphor, "to have one's cake and eat it too".

Just make sure you start with a rapid enough beat in your starting 3rds.  The
consequences of tempering your octaves will work to your advantage in giving
you that "cleaner" and "clearer" overall sound that you desire from the
piano, not "distort" the temperament as some people have suggested.

Keep up the good work and exploration of new ideas.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin