W. Hoffman

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:12:21 -0400

I tuned a 1974 W. Hoffman 6' 4" grand today. German made. Framing is much
like the Bechstein & Bosendorfer. Seemed like it could be a nice instrument.
Had a heavy nasty action that the guy was complaining about. I also thought
the instrument lacked power BIG time.

Anyone know much about the general quality of this piano? I'm guessing along
the quality range of a Shimmel? Sometimes I bang on a piano like this one
and it seems very weak (lacking power/volume), but I wonder if my ears are
just plugged or its just me in some other way. Then I go and tune a 53 year
old Acrosonic console like I did just an hour ago and the thing seems like
it could easily blow the Hoffman away if you were to put them both up on
stage (although the Hoffman did have a bit (like huge) more pronounced
bass - but tenor on up, the Acrosonic would like it BIG time). Is there
anything folks use as a reference for power? I suppose a decibel meter would
help. I guess its probably that I don't yet trust myself - seems so hard to
imagine that big grand sounding anemic compared to an Acrosonic!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com