associate to associate

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:08:05

I suppose one way to get an answer to the 'upgrade' question is to turn it
around backwards.

Why would someone WANT to upgrade?

There have been many reasons listed, but what is compelling for one person
may have no interest for another.

Some people get off on being tested and proving to others (or themselves)
that they have accomplished something.  Others may strive for the 'letters
after the name' and feel that it makes them more professional.  Others may
be looking for specific job tracks that the RPT status affords them.  More
power to them.

I'm excited that this old profession has continual new life and ideas being
shared in this format.  The guild and pianotech allows connection between
all of us that share this very independant profession.

Springs, the revival of alternate tunings, rebuilding research, remember all
those long touchweight posts?.... the list goes on; I think what is
important, is to continue the search.  Decide for yourself if that search is
going to include the letters RPT.

Respectfully submitted

Ron Koval
associate member, Chicago chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild