Associate to associate

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:14:42 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/01 6:11:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> Passing the exams makes one a better person.
> >
> >Willem
>
> There are PLENTY of people who pass the driving exam, and because of
> irresponsibility or negligence go out and kill either themselves or
> innocent
> others on the road, so just passing a test doesn't make you a better
> person;
> it's your actions that count. We all know that there are plenty of
> illiterate High school graduates out there!
>
> Terry Peterson

What I am talking about is the process of taking the exam. A teenager who
passes the driving exam feels a little better about him/herself, because at
the moment, he/she has achieved a certain level of competence in the eyes of
the state. What that teenager does with the privilege of driving is totally
another matter. But at the moment, there is great joy and elation. In the
process of learning how to drive and then passing the driving exam, the
teenager has learned something.

I'll say it again, passing the exam makes one a better person. That doesn't
mean I am accident free, or even that I can even read. (Well, I guess you
have to know how to read to pass any exam, but that's besides the point.) I
can honestly say that every one to whom I have given the exam came away
knowing a little more about tuning, repairing, or regulating a piano,
including me. The point is, until you have attempted to take the exams,
you'll never know what I am talking about.

By the way, as Jim more or less pointed out, passing the exam at 80% isn't
the end of the learning road. It only shows that one is capable of tuning and
repairing a piano to a standard the PTG has set to become an RPT. It doesn't
make that person the best piano technician in town.

To all Associates who have never taking any of the exams, at least take the
written exam. It, in itself, is a learning experience. It is not as easy as
you might think, and best of all, it's free.

Willem