How long does it take to tune the average Piano?

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:44:52 -0400

> I believe, if you check "the book", you'll also note that Don Fleming, (Past
> Portland Chapter Member), holds the record for the MOST pianos tuned in a
> specified, (I think 24hrs, but I'm getting old and don't merember too gud.),
> period of time.
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett

I don't have the "book" but;

Steve Fairchild was a weight lifter who used his strength and endurance to make
records possible.  He tuned something like 36 pianos in one day, a long one and at
music camp.  He had his son go before him and prepare the piano for tuning, Steve
would tune and his son would follow behind and reassemble the piano, working as a
team they could run through a lot of pianos.  It nearly killed him, an athlete in
superb condition.  He never tried that again.

Steve was the fastest, and the slowed tuner.  He developed a spread sheet that would
calculate _the_ optimum tuning based upon measuring the speaking lengths and
diameters of all the strings then he tune the piano using one and even two SAT IIs.
He didn't have limits, just curiosity, a self taught researcher and experimenter.
He was always experimenting trying to find the fasted, best, easiest way to satisfy
all types of customers.

He was/is good, he knew it and everyone around him knew it.

A most interesting person.

His father was equally interesting.  He worked along Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.  If
you lived in a building near Central Park you had money, culture, taste and knew the
rich and famous.  Mr. Fairchild wore a morning suit, with tails, to work every day.
That is the equivalent of wearing a tuxedo, very formal wear, to work.  His clientele
respected him for the respect this show them.  An extremely elegant gentleman with a
waxed mustache and, I think, quite the ladies man.

Our profession has been filled with many colorful personalities.

		Newton