RPT/Associate

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:07:51 -0400

Associates must have reasons to want to upgrade.

In our local chapter we are attempting to create reasons to upgrade.
As RPT's we are responsible for the politics, therefore, if we
assumed it is important for Associates to upgrade then it is our responsibility
to us to foster an environment where Associates want to.

This following statement concerns me if it is true.

"Becoming an RPT only allows one to participate more fully in the political
and policy making of PTG and does not make one more of a 'member' than an
Associate is. In the end becoming an RPT, or not becoming an RPT, is a
personal choice and nothing more."

In our chapter, Associates have some additional reasons to upgrade.

1)  RPT's in the region have a group add under one heading, in a single box.
     With the trademark, and explanation of RPT as it appears on the bookmarks.
      Becoming an RPT is necessary to participate.

2)   Mail outs to 200 music teachers five times a year. Educational technical
      bullitins with statements defining RPT attached.

3)   Promotional tools provided by the chapter to RPT's.
      Reminder cards, bookmarks, technical bulletins.

4)  Only franchised members(RPT's) vote.

In short we have decided that all promotional efforts financially sponsored
are to promote RPT status and awareness. That awareness is growing.
Now we want to be fair to Associates, read on before condemning our plan.

All spending on sponsoring education goes to associates only, RPT's must pay
their own way.

1) Associates can apply for sponsorship of $100 to go to a convention once in
the year.

2) We will pay for one test attempt at a convention once in the year.

There is more money practically available to Associates then RPT's.
But the spending is focused on education for Associates, and promotion for RPT.

Why become an RPT.
Because our mission is to promote growth in piano standards.
The test procedure is a tool for us to use in our personnel growth
in the trade. Even more, the tests are a sign to show those around
us that we are serious. Take the tests and just see how much help
you get. The last fellow we sent for a tuning test, several of us
gave him free private tutoring sessions. We want people to excel
and improve. We want our members to become, and attract the
most talented technicians in the city. We can not invest in everyone
that shows up at a meeting in the same way. When someone
both refuses the test, and talks negatively about RPT, that person
will likely have a negative experience. May I suggest to Associates
reading this that if you go for testing, you will get some respect,
and some help. You could think of it as a first step in giving something
to the chapter, giving some respect, some structure, some effort.
Whatever we give you will get back several times over.

One person said................
Some people might be concerned about failing the test, that there is
some stigma attached to getting a low score and so it's better to not
take a chance. This may be more of an issue for someone who is already a
recognized expert tuner. Others may not have much respect for an
organization who happen to have been ill treated by one or more RPTs or
who have seen others treated unfairly and therefore want no part of the
title. Many simply see no benefit to their business or don't connect any
self-esteem boost to having a plaque on the wall.

I was very nervous about my first test, as someone outlined above,
and I failed it that day. I was also very encouraged by the examiner,
learned some things, and found it the opposite of my fears.
In general I have been most impressed by the attitude of RPT's.
We are a very independently minded bunch, most of us like
working for ourselves, and being in control of our work. But
I also find a willingness to give, share, teach when someone
comes alongside and demonstrates they want to stick with it.
Older techs I know may be wary of a newcomer for fear of
having yet another technician that wants a few tips to do
half a job. Some of these older techs have allot of history and
have been burned before. Some associates may feel they have been
treated badly, but come alongside, show a serious attitude,
and they are actually glad to teach, and have much to give.
Lets keep our eyes forward. Go for it.

                                                  Sincerely
                                                  Dave Renaud
                                                  RPT