Associate to associate

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:05:48 -0500

At 10:12 AM 4/25/01 -0700, you wrote:

> I'd like to know WHY an associate won't upgrade.

Hi David,
               Maybe some of us don't feel the need. I pay $180 US to do some
think that will do nothing for my income, or status, as far as I am concerned.

> Being an RPT in the Piano Technician's Guild does triple duty, it ensures
> quality to the consumer, respect from your peers, and confidence in our
> profession.

I would beg to differ on these points, I have fixed more than my fair share of
RPT Faux pas. that has caused the consumer a lot of grief and money.  As a
dealer, I have also parted company with more than a few, so say qualified
techs, that had less than adaquate technical skills, and border line ethics.

> I expect to get some garbage and prejudice in reply, but I also think there
> can be some valuable information brought out.

And you are not prejaciced???  There many associate technicians on this list
that I would be calling to work on my piano, before searching for a RPT.

Having said that.  The exam process is a good thing, and should be encouraged
for those who want a yard stick to measure their skills, but unfortunately
many
seem to quit the learning, and attending conventions. Thinking they are a
fully
trained craftsman after passing the exam.

As PTG members we should be thinking far more inclusively, and less RPT
exclusive.  It would be healthier for all.
 PTG for me is about fellowship and education, and I like like to think that I
give and take on both of these counts.

Regards Roger.