Associate to associate

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:47:31 -0700

> David Streit wrote:
>
> I'd like to know WHY an associate won't upgrade.

We all have our reasons for staying an associate. The Piano Technicians
Guild offers to its members the _opportunity_ to be tested by their
peers. I'm not aware that it is mandatory to upgrade.

Some people might be concerned about failing the test, that there is
some stigma attached to getting a low score and so it's better to not
take a chance. This may be more of an issue for someone who is already a
recognized expert tuner. Others may not have much respect for an
organization who happen to have been ill treated by one or more RPTs or
who have seen others treated unfairly and therefore want no part of the
title. Many simply see no benefit to their business or don't connect any
self-esteem boost to having a plaque on the wall.

Associates who have taken the test and failed may have become critical
of the testing procedure and have turned their backs on it. They may be
not skilled enough or cannot be relaxed enough in a testing environment
to pass.

I'm sure there are many other reasons but these are a few that have come
to my attention. For myself, I see a great benefit to taking the tests
but I really don't care if others take them or not. It's a personal
matter. I would hope that no one is beating associates with a stick. You
have to want it. Otherwise, it has no meaning.

Tom Cole, RPT
Who didn't kill or maim any pianos today.