Associate to associate

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:00:53 -0700

David I can only assume you are new to the guild or new to the list. =20
Why some associates do not desire to upgrade has been discussed to =
death.

For years I've seen new ones come and go.  Their initial enthusiasm =
sometimes doesn't last long. =20

I might caution you that trying to impress RPTs by trashing associates =
may lower your status among both groups.  The term counterproductive =
comes to mind.

Stay loose.

Carl Meyer

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David & Julie Streit=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 10:12 AM
  Subject: Associate to associate

  I'd like to know WHY an associate won't upgrade.

  As an associate to associates, I don't understand why, if this is your =
profession, won't you make the effort?  Some may not be able to draw a =
linear correlation, but I expect a doctor, lawyer, or any professional =
that I am paying for a service to be tested.  They should be worth their =
salt. They feel responsibility to their profession and proudly display =
their certificates and titles. =20

  Some of these professionals are answerable to their profession such as =
a doctor to the medical board or a lawyer to the bar association, and =
that agency has the power to police its own ranks.  How do you think a =
doctor might feel about seeing an unlicensed (untested) physician =
practicing medicine, especially in view of his dedication to the =
hypocritical oath?  They might be a fine physician, but there's a lot we =
don't know.

  How much more can we as associates expect to earn the recognition from =
our profession than to prove ourselves by going through the upgrade =
process?  The Piano Technician's Guild is not a regulatory agency, but =
it does have a code of ethics.  You believe in this code of ethics or =
you would not be an associate or signed the back of your membership =
card.

  Another point: You may not get along with some of the other members =
who are RPTs...who cares?  Life's tough.  Get over it or through it and =
find someone else to share ideas with. You're entitled to your opinion, =
they are entitled to theirs.  Technique may differ, but the quality end =
product should be the same for us all.  The trick is to find someone(s) =
you can learn with and from, and DON'T GET COCKY.  It irks others and =
it's the first dangerous step to having a closed mind. You can't learn =
anymore till you get rid of that attitude.  Nada...Zip.

  Being an RPT in the Piano Technician's Guild does triple duty, it =
ensures quality to the consumer, respect from your peers, and confidence =
in our profession.

  I expect to get some garbage and prejudice in reply, but I also think =
there can be some valuable information brought out.

  David Streit
  Associate (But not for long)
  AAA Piano Service
  Portland, Oregon