Help me avoid doing any damage

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:23:00 -0700

Sir,

Judging by the nature of your post I would speculate that you are not a
technician, but rather an enthusiastic amateur who wants to go the "do it
yourself" route.  Please DO NOT take this personally, but from your description
I'd say what you have here is an 800 pound paper weight.  Old players are
primarily from the 1920s era and rarely require anything less than a complete
restoration to make them pianos again.  With the player system removed it is
worth even less, probably next to nothing.  The only exception might be if it
happens to be a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, or other notable brand that would
sustain some of it's value.  I would not waste my time on it.  Just to be
absolutely certain I would encourage you to have a local tech come and take a
look see.   Unfortunately the "grandmother hand-me-down" piano is a very common
tale.  I have had many clients go through hours of intense work stripping down
and refinishing their piano.  Then they call me to "tune it".  What I find is
an action that is so deteriorated it is unserviceable, a sound board with more
cracks in it then a California fault line, strings more rusted than an Iowa
cattle fence, and about as much crown as a sheet of glass.  (Pardon me while I
wax poetic here, I just couldn't help it).  In other words what they have is a
"really pretty paper weight."

I'm not trying to discourage you, if you feel it is worth it to YOU than go for
it, just beware of what you are getting yourself into.  Good Luck.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV