Pre-Purchase Inspection Liability

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:39:00 +0200

Terry, you run into this kinda thing all the time... and what it really boils
down to is that the customer doesnt reallllllllyyyyy want to "hear" anything
except words like "inexpensive" and "good enough" or "no big problems".... They
are not primarily concerned with the piano's quality, nor their daughters
practice situation. They are primarilly interested in their pocketbooks.... to
the degree that they simply refuse to make a concerted effort to confront this
instrument and the investment it represents from an informed and to some degree
educated standpoint...

In short...they dont really give a flying tomato. But such folks often enough
will try and shirk the blame if anything goes wrong with their little "we can
buy the world for 9.95 plan".

Dont worry about it. Blow them off and move on. The only thing you can do to
avoid such people is to not give appraisals... or make them written and very
specific.

As for liability.... not... they cant touch you in this situation. You havent
misled them, 2500 dollars is nothing for an instrument... nononononono... dont
worry, be happy... and drop such customers like a lead brick.

JMV

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.