Associate to associate

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:00:55 -0400

David,
    I doubt from the tone of your post that you are truly interested in
an answer but I believe I shall attempt to answer from my point of view
anyway.
    I have been an associate for 18 years now and see no reason to
"upgrade". I spend a great deal of time attempting to improve my skills
on a continuing basis. I believe this qualifies me as having" made the
effort". I recognize the needs of many to go through a designed program
to prove to themselves and the world around them that they have learned.
Still others are highly qualified in their experiences such that this
becomes unnecessary. Consider the position of a rebuilder. There is
currently no qualification for someone who does not tune but is
otherwise gainfully occupied in the pursuit of rebuilding pianos. Some
of those folk are putting out absolutely stellar work and have not
"upgraded".
    I am also keenly aware that in my 18 years of serving the public
with my abilities that I 1) have never had someone ask me if I was a
member of the PTG much less an RPT and, 2) am regularly highly praised
for the work I do. In the case of a physician, that group of people have
been very successful in forwarding the agenda they have as to the
"right" way to heal. Consider, if you will, the many other forms of
healing both within and without this great country of ours. Now that the
AMA and it's various accredidations is so powerful is everyone else now
considered "unlearned"? I have a difficult time with this thought
process.
    Concerning your triple duty statement I disagree. Being an RPT does
not and will never ensure quality to the consumer any more than you are
ever ensured the correct diagnosis of aliments from your family doctor.
Neither does it guarantee respect from your peers as I have lost respect
for some RPT's that I know of based on work I've seen and their
treatment of their customer. Lastly, why would the letter RPT after
someone's name inspire confidence in our profession? I truly do not
understand this statement.
    I'm sure that your motives are pure and that you wish the very best
for all connected with this fine profession. Please understand that the
way you choose for yourself is not necessarily the way for everyone. Nor
does it need to be. Granted that you probably think of this as garbage
and prejudice since the agenda is different from your own. Nevertheless
I thought I would try anyway. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

Greg Newell

--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté