Pre-Purchase Inspection Liability

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:06:18 -0400

snip
>Anyway, I think the awkward situation is clear. In their mind I "recommended
>the piano", and in my mind I told them that $2500 was a fair market value
>for the instrument, that there were no major problems with the piano, and
>that they really need to spend around $1,500 to make the piano function at a
>minimally acceptable level. Take this situation just one step further and
>you could find somebody suing someone else.
>
>It seems to me that a written report would be required to minimize such
>situations from arising. I hate written reports. I would have to up my
>inspection fee. How do you'all address this potential danger?

They heard what they wanted to hear. The fact that they got a tuner
to look at the piano is a plus.

On that note, we had a church that we were talking about purchasing a
Yamaha grand. Turned out they found a used Yamaha grand for a real
steal. Told the people they were going to go ahead and buy it. Turned
out that it's not a Yamaha, but a Weber, it's not a 6' grand but a
4'11." None of the musicians have played it yet even. We had a
lengthy conversation about what uses the piano would be used for etc.
and a strong recommendation by me that they really needed to get
their musicians to play the piano first.

When I evaluate a piano I always ask what are they planning on using
the piano for and who will be playing it.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.