CFS

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:55:05 -0400

I rebuilt a CFS several years ago, a grand something over five foot with "Equal
Tension Scale" embossed along the capo bar.

New hammers, strings, old block, refinished,  blah, blah, blah.

I measured and evaluated the scale and it was nowhere near equal tension and so I
rescaled it, especially the bass.

There was a serious problem of tuning pin crowding at the bottom of the middle
section and when I went to string that section I could not turn the pins without
using a thinned tuning tip.  _I_ had one but I could not assume everyone else did so
I further refined the scale by putting two unisons of bichords there.

It turned out to be a really nice piano but the customer lived near Waco, TX, too far
for me to get to so I spent extra time double checking everything to make sure it
would survive.  I was rather proud of that little beastie.

Two weeks after delivery I got a call from the customer.  My immediate reaction was,
"Oh NO, I have to go out there and fix something!"  Adrenaline running !

Then the customer said, "I am amazed at how nice the piano turned out.  I want to
thank you for such a wonderful job."

Lesson: Don't get your hormones running until you have to.

		Newton