Soundboard Springs. Long.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:48:23 -0500

Hi Del,
Server's been down (yet(yet(yet))) again, and I fished this out of the
archives just now, since it still hasn't shown up in my in box.

>As I recall it worked best to glue a maple strip to the back side of the
>soundboard in line with the bridge to seat the spring against. This strip
>should extend nearly to the ribs and should be about 8 to 10 mm thick and
>about 10 mm wider than the spring diameter. You want to spread the spring
>force around a bit. Put a piece of heavy leather on the maple strip to seat
>the spring against.

A couple of these maple "pads" between ribs would be in the 100 gram range
in weight too, adding not only stiffness, but considerable mass too. Seems
to me that likely had something to do with that configuration working
better. Double impedance boost.

Ron N