EBVT tunings

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:34:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/01 1:03:35 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
 writes:

> The Victorian era is an efficient starting point.  I
> wonder if you customer will care to continue farther back into the stronger
> contrasts of earlier styles.  (You might mention that temperament
> represents
> a continuum within itself).

One of the special features of the Equal Beating (EB) properties of the EBVT
is that earlier music is much better represented than with any historically
documented Victorian Temperament.  That's what makes it useful for playing
virtually any kind of music.  The astonishing clarity comes from the EB
effects found in both the temperament and octave tuning systems.
Unfortunately, these cannot be produced by any smooth curve calculated
program used by any of the popular Electronic Tuning Devices.

I thank John for his interest and comments, also those recently from Jay
Mercier.  What John noticed about tuning the note F3 earlier in the sequence
had also been discovered by Ola from Norway.  I wonder why I hadn't thought
of it myself but the fact is that I had tried to keep the construction of the
temperament as close to the way all of the typical historically documented
temperaments were.

I have, however, been interested in finding ways to tune even those from the
note A as a starting point rather than C in order to assure standard pitch.
This bothers some HT practitioners, making them believe that A is the tonal
center rather than C, which is simply not true.

I think I will rewrite the instructions to where F3-A3 will be the only
estimated interval (at 6 beats per second).  That should be easy for an aural
ET tuner to adapt to.  If the estimate is good, every interval following that
will either be pure or will beat exactly the same as another, which makes the
EBVT much easier to get correct than ET.

There are two other temperaments that I tune for which I use a different
sequence than was historically documented but which produce the same results.
 It is just easier for a person who has previously only tuned ET to learn,
use and get correct each time:  the Vallotti and the Marpurg-Neidhardt
Composite Quasi Equal Temperament.  If these can be done with an alternative
sequence, there is no reason why my own EBVT can't be.

I should have enough material for a 4 part Journal article, Explanation of
Key Color, the EBVT, Tempered Octaves and the alternative sequences for the
Vallotti and Marpurg.  The Marpurg should be of interest to many because it
produces the very same neutrality that ET does but because of its 9 pure 5ths
and 3 EB triads, it sounds much cleaner and clearer.  In my opinion, it is a
much better alternative than the hyper expanded version of ET known as "ET
with pure 5ths".

Since the 2002 PTG Annual Convention will be in Chicago, my local area, it
will be important for those of you who are interested in what I have to offer
to let the Institute Directors know that you are interested both by direct
requests and on surveys.  I would enjoy comparing the EBVT with ET again on
Walter Grand pianos with Virgil Smith.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin