Glues/Bridges, etc.

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:35:20 -0400

At 09:39 AM 04/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
><snip>
>      The fifth glue is Contact Cement. (The stinky one, that many prefer not
>to use because it is not good to breath!) This glue is used to install
>leather or felt in high use areas, such as contact points between springs
>and levers. Also, it's my glue of choice for keytop replacement. There is a
>downside to this use, as I have found that after 15-20 years, the glue
>breaks down and the keytops come off! DO NOT USE THE WATER BASED CONTACT
>CEMENT! Water based contact cement breaks down faster and doesn't stick very
>well, anyway.<snip>
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)

Joe,
Try PVC-E glue for plastic keytops. No worry about accidental etching of
the surface.
I can't attest to its longevity but we already know that contact cement
doesn't last.
It is flexible enough for the key to move with season changes and not split
the covering.
You don't even need to clamp it, once pressure is applied, it stays secure
until dry.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.