new strings

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:25:42 -0500

>On a quality piano, I would opt for replacing both strings of the bichord
thus
>reducing possibilities of a mismatch in the harmonics. However, if a splice
>will hold and the customer is not put off by a small knot in the wire;
>I would leave it at that.

Hi Jon,
            This is a case where I would agree to splicing as the a first
option. Not being a fan of spicing, I would then opt for changing both
strings at the end of the teaching season, so they could settle over the
summer. Causing minimum annoyance.
I'm making an assumption that this is a teaching grand that is well
maintained, since it is tuned 3 or 4 times a year.
Again, educate the customer on options.  At the University, I have 3 pairs
of bicords to replace this year, seems I have 2 or 3 every spring. Time
September rolls around, the strings have settled in quite well. First
couple of stretches tune the octave a beat or so sharp.
This is a judgement call, but I have never had a complaint, after telling
the prof and or office what has been done.
 Performance piano's is a different story. But they are tuned a few times a
month, so no big deal.
Regards Roger