new strings

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:55:35 -0500

Hi Harriet,
                A few tips that will help in this type of situation. Step
1. Make sure the coils are tight and the the string has been seated on the
bridge, and hitch pin. Step 2.  Tune the string a quarter step sharp.  Step
3.  Burnish the string speaking length, back scale, and counter baring
area, with a hammer shank, untill it is flat. This will get some of the
stretch out of the new string.  Step 4. Retune with forceful blows.  Repeat
the above but a little more gentle on the burnishing.
If both lengths of string are on the same note, you can mute one string of
the note and the adjacent note, then tune the octave a full beat sharp, if
the customer understands what you are doing.
Return in 30days or so, burnish and retune correctly.  It should now be
fairly stable with the unison.
Works quite well for me.
Regards Roger.