new strings

Harriet Lipman hallie58@yahoo.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

This is certainly not a new question - but I need some
new ideas - what do you do when you tune regularly (4
times/year) for a piano teacher who teaches ALOT of
students - and a string breaks, so you replace it -
you tell her that the new one will be out of tune
tomorrow - she understands that, but every two weeks
the out-of-tune  string is driving her nuts - she
would like to buy a tuning hammer and fix it herself,
but I know that if she touches anything inside the
piano, she will break it (she is extremely impulsive,
almost hyper).  Do I just mute it off until it
streches and tell her that she simply has to live with
two  muted notes (in this case it is a bass bi-chord),
or is there some other trick I don't know about?  I
kept pulling it (way up) when I was there, but that
lasts about two days, in my experience.

P.S. She doesn't live around the corner - maybe 10
miles away - she also sends me a TREMENDOUS number of
referrals - I DO want to keep her happy.

I appreciate anyone's input.

Harriet

Long Island