string seating - was bridge caps

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:30:39 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >It seems obvious also that when this indentation
> >becomes
> >too severe, string seating becomes useless. But these facts in no way
> >address the
> >neccessity (or lack there of ) of string seating when the indentation is
> not so
> >severe as to be below the gradient of the string bearing angle. I have yet
> >to see
> >anything written here that addresses that at all...grin... tho granted I
> coulda
> >missed sump'em.
> >--
> >Richard Brekne
>
> I outlined this as a conceptual lead in to my first post on the subject,
> knowing I'd have to go back and do it again at least once more. So here's
> the thing.
>
> Given that most false beats in the killer octave area (where most string
> seaters spend the majority of their time) are demonstrably associated with
> loose bridge pins, how would a loose pin flagpole enough to produce a false
> beat if the string was firmly seated on the bridge at the pin? It wouldn't
> unless the string can move with it. If the false beat is there now, where
> it wasn't last year (important distinction), why is it there? I'm saying
> that I think the crushing of the bridge cap is the reason the false beat
> happens, and seating the string hasn't fixed a thing, even if the beat goes
> away temporarily.
>
> Ron N

Jimennees Ron... we are going in circles here...

"Most false beats" isnt the same as "all types of sounds". I said at the outset
that I dont seat strings because of false beats. What I did say was that the string
can loose solid contact with the bridge without there being an indentation deeper
then the gradient of the bearing and that this can cause sound problems that a
light tapping between the bridge pin can take care of.   I still havent seen you
address that condition.

What you have said... grin.. several times now... has been conceeded as far as it
goes several times now. You will of course excuse my insistance on the term
"significant contribution" until it has been shown without any doubt that "primary
contribution" is the better expression.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.