"restoring" crown with springs

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:30:14 -0600

To Carl Meyer:
    A long-time technician for the public schools here in Denver has =
used springs to "restore" the crown in some pianos (mostly studios and =
old uprights), and with successful results, i.e. better tone, longer =
sustain, more volume.   He gave a technical at a chapter meeting some =
years ago, and it would take a while for me to find my notes, but =
briefly, he used angle brackets fastened to the backposts, automotive =
valve springs, fender washers,  and adjustable bolts to vary the =
pressure.  I believe the spring / fender washer / bolt assemblies, one =
fastened to each backpost,  pressed directly on the ribs, probably =
behind the long bridge.   Seems he may have let the tension down first =
in some cases, or maybe just in the bass, I don't remember, but I could =
look it up.  Anyhow, the results were quite impressive.  He didn't =
recommend it for fine pianos, mind you, but to bring some life to an old =
piano that would otherwise be junked, it was a fairly quick and =
inexpensive cure.    Sincerely, David Nereson, RPT, Denver