The Absolute Coolness of Modern Music Software

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:31:20 -0400

I found the software at www.sharewaremusicmachine.com
Click on Notation software.

My favorites are:

Guido - a small and easy program which lets you design blank music sheets
and print them

TIMidity++ v.2.10.2 - a work still in progress that is a MIDI to WAVE
converter and player that uses Gravis Ultrasound-compatible patch files to
generate digital audio data from General MIDI files.  This is freeware.

Amazing MIDI 1.60 - transcribes music, converting WAV files into MIDI files.
It can recognize single-instrument polyphonic music.  This demo lets use
save a 30-second MIDI file.  The full version only costs $29.

AKoff Music Composer 2.0 - is music recognition software which performs WAV
to MIDI conversion.  Also costs $29 if you buy it.

SharpEye Music Reader 1.21 - converts a scanned image of printed music into
a  MIDI or NIFF file.  It does not support direct scanning but will accept a
BMP and TIFF file.

MidiNotate 3.0.1 - downloads MIDI files from the Internet and converts them
to printable sheet music.  Also does karaoke (.kar) files.

Cakewalk ScoreWriter 1 Trial Version - I use the full version of this
program (the demo does not allow you to save the sheet music) and I think I
saw it recently for $39.

These programs will get you started.  They are shareware programs, and if
you decided to buy any of them, they cost less than $89.

Just remember though, that none of this technology is perfect and still
needs editing.  I think the most usefull thing I will learn next is how to
edit Cakewalk Scorewriter files - then everything else is usable!

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland