The absolute coolness of modern music software

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:12:31 -0400

Since my broken bones have been healing these past 6 weeks, I have finally
taken the time to continue my research into music software available for
cheap or free from the internet.  Not only have I discovered new ways to
play with my Disklavier, like multi-track and ensemble recording (I can play
4-hand duets by using only one (unbroken) hand to record the parts 4 times!)
but I can generate sheet music in ways I never thought possible.

For a piano tuner, I never got any musician genes - I couldn't tell you what
kind of chord was generating the harmony I hear to save myself.  I learned
to read music, but it took 35 years before I realized there was a pattern to
it!  I learned to play the french horn, trumpet and saxophone as a kid by
memorizing the fingering charts.  And after 45 years of playing at it, I
still can't play the piano without my dog crying!

But I love music!  To me, one "owns" a piece if you can acquire the sheet
music.  I own a 6-foot stack of music and I can play about 1 inch of it.
The only way I ever hear music is in my car on those rare occasions I turn
on the radio or see a movie and notice the soundtack.  By the time I hear
something I would really like to learn to play, it has been out of print for
years!  This brings me to one of the reasons I bought a disklavier.  I have
a client who can listen to any song and then sit down at the piano and play
it.  He has always felt his musicianship was inadequate because he couldn't
read music.  Boy, did I ever set him straight!  I have been meaning to burn
the few songs I want to learn to play to a CD and send it to him; then
invite him over to play them on my disklavier and generate MIDI files.  I
could then take those MIDI files my piano generates and print the sheet
music from them!

I found a programs that will take a scanned picture (TIFF) and use OCR to
generate either a music notation file or MIDI file from which sheet music
can be printed.  It's a great concept but you still have to do some editing.
Also, the music sounds pretty "mechanical".

But the newest, coolest, thing of all (as opposed to 10 months ago when I
did this research for my mini tech in Arlington last year) is that progress
is being made to turn wave files into MIDI files.  That means that I can
take a song from a CD, make a wave file of it, take it into one of these
widi programs, and generate a MIDI file that will play my disklavier.  This
same MIDI file can also be taken into a notation program and the sheet music
will appear! - needs editing though!!!  But I am happy as a clam just
playing with all these modern toys.  One way or another, I am going to hear
piano music in my own home, whenever I want to, whatever I want, and however
I want to hear it!

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland