Tunelab vs. RCT

Dave Christianson dc64@earthlink.net
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

------Original Message------
From: d.l.ezell@att.net
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: April 19, 2001 1:13:37 AM GMT
Subject: Re: Tunelab vs. RCT
Don,

Thanks much for your input.  I am definitely getting a variety of opinions
on whether to use an ETD or tune by ear.  I've been satisfied (and my
customers too) with the results I've been getting tuning by ear.  What takes
the most time for me is setting the temperament, and also getting a
satisfying sound in the last upper octave or so.  The rest of the piano I
can tune relatively quickly.  How long should it take to tune your average
console or upright?  I have the most trouble with spinets.

Dave
Dave,
While using an Electronic Tuning device may seem to
speed up some tuning jobs, in reality sometimes they may
slow you down, at least that has been my experience, of
course I couldn't afford one of the real expensive
ones.But I suspect that even one of the real expensive
ones still would not be as true as some of the "Blind"
tuners who have made an extremely good living tuning by
ear.If a tuner learns to tune by ear properly and gets a
lot of experience tuning I believe it is superior to
Electronic Tuning but that is just my opinion.
Donald Ezell
> Hi!
> I've been tuning pianos aurally for about 2 years now, on a part-time
basis (I
> am a full-time band director).  I have been considering purchasing an
electronic
> tuner, but am not sure if it's worth the investment.  What I'm wondering
is:

> #1 Can I expect to cut down the time to tune a piano significantly?  It
takes me
> about 2 -2.5 hours currently.
>
> #2 I'm seeking advice/opinions on the merits (or demerits) of Tunelab Pro
and
> the Reyburn Cybertuner.
>
> #3 In the messages I've read here, there has been no mention of the
Peterson