Mason Hamlin Screwstringer

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:25:52 -0700

----__JNP_000_1a2b.2287.744b
Hi guys (and gals)!

I wanted you to see the part that broke on the old Mason Hamlin
Screwstringer grand I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.  I went back and
removed the part, and scanned it with my new scanner so you could see!
This is the part that the string attaches to instead of a tuning pin.
This particular one used to have a hole on the left side of this picture
where the string attaches, but broke while I was installing a bass
string.  The part itself passes through a hole, one for each string, cast
into the plate.  A T-handle tool (provided with the piano), similar to a
harpsichord size, is held towards the keyboard and turned to increase or
decrease the tension.  It works pretty well, unless a string or part
breaks.  Then it is more difficult because of the accuracy in string
length needed to stay within the range of the threaded tuning machine.

I still need a few of these parts.  If you have one, let me know.

Tom Armstrong, RTT
Salinas, CA
----__JNP_000_1a2b.2287.744b
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...