Where's the engineer?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:05:38 -0500

> After Ron Nossman's quick nudge, I figured out my difficulty. You're speaking
> of the deflection as only being one right triangle, I'd been seeing two,
> which of course there are.

Exactly. Baseline speaking length, break right x°, across bridge, break left
x°, continue parallel to speaking length for an x° stagger. It usually doesn't
really work exactly that way in real pianos, but that's the idea. The side
bearing pressures we were discussing were per pin, rather than per string.

--------------------

> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

A workable enough approach, near as I can tell, though it's about rendering a
string through the bridge rather than what it takes to push one up a bridge
pin. Even so, it's another worthy direction of inquiry. Now tell me if the
"tuned" rear duplex contingent would accept the resulting data as prima facie
evidence that they are barking up the wrong segment in their quest for piano
tone Nirvana when they find out how seldom the speaking length tension matches
the scale tension.

> "We mustn't underestimate our power of teamwork."
>     ...........Bob Davis RPT, pianotech '97

"Nor neglect the imperative of individual thought."
...............Uncle Wookie, RPT - PDQ - BFD - Pat pend, pianotech 'now

Ron N