Steinway Sustain

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:54 -0700

    Very good listing, Tony. I know just where you're coming from, having
been in the exact same position myself.
    This brings up an interesting topic, which I have wondered about myself,
quite a bit lately. What's the humidity in Australia like, where you live?
Steinway really forces their sound boards into the rim. They're better in a
dry climate than a humid one. Could you perhaps have too much downbearing?
    My question to the more experienced people, ( Del, where are you?) is
what effect does too much downbearing have on tone?  Wouldn't that make the
board so high that it would transfer the energy more quickly than we would
like?
    Hey, I'm just really trying to come up with some answers here, and at
the same time learn a little myself.
    I think Jim C. does searches for listings that reference him. Jim
Coleman Sr. ( You there, bud?)
    There, can you help us out Jim?
Btw; if you regulated the action not too long ago, ( you said some time ago,
how long?)  it is probably not due to a regulation problem. You'll probably
find that it's still OK, and still be asking yourself why does it have so
little sustain.
    BTW 2: You remember what I said about shoulder needling? Well, today, I
had an Asian piano that had ONE note that was all attack, and no sustain. I
needled the heck out of it: helped, but not as much as I hoped for, so I
guess I've got a little learning to do myself. ( Yes, I checked everything
else too, sheesh, you don't think I read this stuff here?)

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com