Heinzman Treble Agraffes

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:29 -0500

Some thing to share, with my Canadian collegues.

For some time now I have been hand reaming the plate agraffe holes with a
3/32" drill bit in a pin vice. Before restringing.
Some observations: The strings render just like any other quality piano,
and most of the percussive sizzle disappears, the treble tone quality is
definitely improved.
Measuring a number of pianos the holes have varied in length from 3/8" to
9/16", dependent on model.  That is a lot of friction, no wonder some of
them are bears to tune.
With the holes cleaned out, it makes the restringing process go a lot
faster, and it is easier to thread the back length of wire.
After reaming the holes and dressing the capo bar, Prolube the holes, and
parafine wax the capo bar, you will be pleasantly suprised how nicely the
treble tunes.

For our American friend's, there is a photo of this unusual agraffe system
in the damper artical of Febuary's Journal.  The forward duplex is hidden
in under the plate.

Hope this is of use to some one.
Regards Roger