ok, I give up

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

> So, my only alternative is to do it myself.

Also consider the time involved. I've seen what oboe players have to go
through. They spend at least half their practice time making their own
reeds, and even after their many years of experience!

I am a piano player who is a newbie at tuning. It has taken me lots of
time reading about tuning, doing tuning exercises, and practicing. It
takes me about 3 or 4 hours to do a decent tuning job on my piano. One
time I tried to speed up the process, and the tuning ended up horrible.
>From now on, I'll leave a half a day to tune. However long the piano needs
is how long the piano gets. But I wouldn't want to have to do this when I
wished I had time to PLAY the piano. For me, it's really two separate
hobbies: playing and tuning/repair. I found tuning to be very frustrating
and unpleasant when all I wanted was an in-tune piano quickly. But I enjoy
it when I do it as an activity for its own sake.

Another thing is that if I had to prepare for a concert or something, I
wouldn't want to risk any injuries. Maybe my tuning technique isn't quite
right, but I sometimes get a sore neck, back, arm, and fingers from
tuning. After tuning my piano, the last thing I want to do is play it!

I'm not in a position to be able to give expert advice on whether or not
you should do your own piano work, but I just wanted to share my
experiences. Good luck!

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc.
Plainview, NY