Warranty dilemma

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:09:56 EDT

Thanks to all for the input I have received
Comments interspersed below
From:   RNossaman@KSCABLE.com (Ron Nossaman)
<<
 > Having radiators for heat, they won't have central air conditioning for
 > cool, so they won't have much in the way of dehumidification in summer. I
 > find that people usually only run window units when the room is occupied,
 > and the piano is nearly always in a room that isn't. It's almost surely a
 > climate control thing, making it the customer's problem.
 >
 > Ron N

Ron
 Actually they also do have central air through a heat pump
and separate duct work. As I said this is a very affluent 'hood.

From:   Billbrpt@AOL.COM
>>Snip>>
The Baldwin B and C series is an exception to this, however, in my book.
This, in spite of some good words recently by Ron N.  In my opinion, this was
an attempt to build a cheap piano but have the long standing, generally good
reputation of the name, Baldwin on it.
>>Snip>>
Bill,
My experience with the B is about the same as yours, but I have
never had this severe block problem with any Baldwin. It usually
takes 7 yrs. to really be able to turn the pins. (slight exaggeration)

From:   diskladame@provide.net (Z! Reinhardt)
Now I'm curious -- were the pins uniformly loose?  Then I might assume a
climate control problem.  Or were they interspersed with good to tight pins?
Then I might assume a warranty problem.

No, the pins go from some sort of tunable maybe 50 in.lbs --the best
to literally  0 in lb. you cannot remove the tuning hammer and have
the pin stay. All the rest fall widely in between.

My dilemma here is I feel the block should be replaced due to the major
inconsistency from note to note. If I had to say-go to court-could I firmly
say that this was not a humidity problem... No. Do I feel this problem is
totally related to climate.....No. There is something very different here, but
I just can't put a finger on it. I actually did call the dealer just to find
out
that it was a new piano purchase, serial number verification and relate my
findings. They are a reputable Baldwin dealer. No more was said. Previous
tuner examined the piano and "tried to tune" 3 weeks prior to me. He told
owner the piano needs $3000.00 worth of work. I think that is why I was
contacted. He made no mention of warranty.
I usually take the client side, if I feel they are right beyond doubt. I don't
think they have made any extra effort to deal with this problem beyond
what I stated. I sort of feel like I should let them pursue the matter
themselves. On the other hand I could just bring the piano into the
shop and replace the block. Could be less hassle for everyone, but
I also believe a piano with the Baldwin name should last more than
7 years. I concur with Terry & I made clear the humidity question.

From:   mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell)
Hey Ron. I agree with you that the owner has a climate control problem.  But
regardless - 0 in.-lb. torque? This sounds like a material and/or
manufacturing defect to me. IMHO, I don't think any piano SHOULD be
untunable in seven years in a residential environment - even without
air-conditioning.

Mark Ritchie RPT