Steinway Sustain

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:29:20 -0000

Tony:

Comments from Antares and Newton are to the point, but I would add something
else.  String seating in the capo secion is critical for both power and
sustain.  You will have to address this periodically.  My suggestion is to
take an old Steinway agraffe (7/32", it will fit perfectly in a combination
handle).  File a groove in the middle of the long dimension on top of the
agraffe to accomodate a single string.  Put it in the combination handle and
from the underside of the string massage the string up against the capo bar
on both the speaking and not speaking length.  Massage the strings down
toward the bridge on both sides of the bridge (I prefer this to tapping).
Then go through the leveling/fitting process again very carefully.  Cleaning
up the contact there will make a difference.  There are other considerations
with respect to how the hammers have been hardened.  There will be
differences of opinion here but I think that the hammer must be hardest deep
under the striking point graduating to softer as it goes toward the crown
with a bit of hardening on the surface for proper attack.  If the hammer has
been hardened by applying drops of hardener to the top of the hammer only,
the hammer will compress too much on a firm blow resulting in too much
contact with the string and killing sustain.  You can determine this by
using a single needle to feel the resistance of the felt and you can hear it
if the shows little difference in power above mf.  If the hammer is soft
down deep then you will have to get the hardener under the crown.  At this
point I would recommend applying the hardener from the side.  Lay the action
on end and put five or six drops of 4:1 or 3:1 acetone/lacquer solution on
each side of the hammer.  I don't personally like using plastic or keytop
solutions.  I think they have a distinct and different quality.  In my
experience it doesn't get the hammer hard enough without totally destroying
resilience.  Some may disagree with me here.  There is a trade off, as many
have mentioned, with power/sustain.  But a balance can generally be found.
Of course if the problem is in the board then you have other problems.  I
think that generally the potential of that section often dictates what you
can do with the rest of the piano.  Sometimes you just can't get as much as
you would like for structural reasons.  In that case, you have to accept the
pianos character and voice the whole thing accordingly with emphasis on
balance rather than a preconceived notion of what it ought to sound like.
Not every piano is fit for concerto work.

David Love