Ronisch Bass

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:57:19 +0930

List

A music teacher in Darwin has just bought a new Ronisch piano. Approx. =
125CM high, made in Leipzig, Germany by ???. Not Ronisch. Has a Renner =
action, lovely cabinet but the bass.

I can't say lousy choice of piano, she paid cash to a major store in =
Sydney, played the piano several times before deciding, all the right =
things but.

I tuned the piano yesterday (raised pitch from 20 cents to 65 cents =
flat) and she played it after and said 'C1 doesn't sound right' Checked =
it by ear and all is OK, asked her what she thought was wrong to which =
she replied that it 'sounded more like a G note' asked her how her pitch =
recognition was to which she replied 'pitch perfect' switched on =
computer and clicked onto the new TuneLab Pro, played C1 and checked the =
partials. Partial 3 =3D 100 partial 4 =3D 45..

Showed this to customer and explained that the fundamental is very low =
(absent) in the lower bass but the harmonics are very rich, what she is =
hearing is the 3rd harmonic of C which is G.

Tuned the note up, she tested, tuned the note down, she tested, put it =
back where it was, she tested and said now its OK.

I didn't like the scaling of the bass, the treble was OK but the bass ?

Question.

Why is this C1 note so heavy on the 3rd partial and so low on the 2nd =
and 4th. And, how can you increase the 2nd and 4th to make it sound like =
a "C" note. ?

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au